Travel Sattahip Part 3
Turtle Conservation Center, the Royal Thai Navy (ศูนย์อนุรักษ์พันธุ์เต่าทะเล) is a source of knowledge on the biology of the sea turtle life cycle for the government agencies and other groups of visitors. The center also provides a lecture for the public and youth, VDO presentation and exhibitions. Visitors can admire the cuteness of the sea turtles in the nursery ponds. Its objective is to create love and the preservation awareness towards Thai sea turtles. The Center is open everyday from 8.00 a.m.—5.00 p.m. Please contact in advance at the Air and Coastal Defence Command, Tel.
0 3843 l477ext.1035—6, 0 3824 5760, ext.066-3809 www.navy.mi.th
Chong Samaesan Village (หมู่บ้านช่องแสมสาร) Chong Samaesan is another village offering good fishing opportunities. It is located some 17 kilometres further from the Sattahip deep—water port. There are bungalow—type accommodations and tourists can charter boats to enjoy fishing around the nearby is1ands.All these small island are under the jurisdiction of the navy. Suan Chunlakan Sathit Sathan Banphachon
Siam (สวนจุลการสถิตสถานบรรพชนสยาม) is a park built for Admiral Prince Krommaluang Chumphon Khet Udomsak in 1995. It is situated at Mu 1, Tambon Phlu Ta Luang where a shrine and statues of Prince Krommaluang Chumphon Khet Udomsak and significant persons in Thai history as well as revered Buddhist monks in the past are situated. The park is open daily from 7.00 a.m.-
Amphoe Phanat N ikhom
Phra Phuttha Ming Mueang (พระพุทธมิ่งเมือง) is an engraved Buddha image out of Padauk wood in the posture of subduing Mara. It is the Laotian art, constructed in 1828 by the Laotians who immigrated into this area. Originally, the image was enshrined in an abandoned temple, called “Wat Pha Khao Yai”, which is assumed to be an ancient temple, the first to be constructed in the Phanat Nikhom area. Later, Phanat Nikhom Municipality Office renovated the temple and its compound, as well as, built a Wihan as a residence of the wooden Buddha image at the location where the original Ubosot had been. At present, it is near the community centre of the Phanat Nikhom Municipality Office.
H0 Phra Phanatbodi (หอพระพนัสบดี) is situated in the middle of a pond, opposite the Phanat Nikhom Municipality Office, Mueang Kao Road, Soi 1. lt is a place where a replica of Phra Phanatbodi (Vanaspati) is enshrined. lt is a dignified standing Buddha image in the blessing posture of the Dvaravati period, whose age is approximately l,200-l,3OO years. lt was elaborately engraved out of a delicate black stone. The image is standing on a mythical creature whose characteristics are a mixture of a garuda, a bull and a swan.
Wat Chum Saeng Si Wanaram (วัดชุมแสงศรีวนาราม) is located at Mu l, Tambon Nong Nang, l3 kilometres from Phanat Nikhom Market via Thung Hiang Market along the Highway No. 3284. Then, turn left for 2 kilometres. This temple was originally called "Wat Mai Yang Ngam”. The distinguishing point of this temple is Sala Kan Parianna temple hall for the Buddhist monks’ meeting and religious ceremony, constructed of terra-cotta into modern architecture. lt is called Mabunkhrong Building. Moreover, the Ubosot displays interesting
religious puzzle paintings.
Luangpho Tio, Wat Hua Thanon (หลวงพ่อติ้ว วัดหัวถนน) is 10 kilometres from the centre of the district. Take the Phanat Nikhom-Sa Siliam route to Tambon Hua Thanon, which is the location of the temple. Luangpho Tio is a Buddha image in subduing Mara posture. lt is an engraved image of Taeo wood (called Tio wood by the Laotians). During the Songkran period, on 19 April every year, there is a procession carrying the image around the village. lt is believed that the image would make all the wishes and success come true.
Sa Siliam (สระสี่เหลี่ยม) is situated at Mu 6,Tambon Sa Siliam. From Phanat Nikhom, take the Phanat Nikhom-Sa Siliam Road, passing Wat Hua Thanon to an ancient pond in a square shape (Sa Siliam), dug into a laterite. According to legend, it is the pond where Phra Rot in the folk story "Phra Rot-Meri”, brought his cock to drink